Report Design Wizard vs. Report Designer FAQ
Can you use the Report Design Wizard to "quick start" a report then edit it with the Report Designer?
Yes. Report XML definitions published via the Report Design Wizard can be imported into the Pentaho Report Designer for further modification.
When should I use the Report Design Wizard vs. the Report Designer?
The Report Design Wizard is designed to quickly and easily create rich looking reports through the use of templates. The Report Designer allows users to:
Aside from being a standalone tool, the Report Design Wizard is also embedded in the Pentaho Report Designer. This allows users to easily create
rich looking reports based on templates, then directly preview and edit the report in the Report Designer to make fine adjustments, apply more
formatting and build in advanced functionality.
- completely control the placement of content in a report, pixel by pixel
- merge text and data fields of different types to together to create dynamic messages,
- build complex calculations
- create links that pass context to other reports or external systems,
- conditionally display report objects or format objects and much more.